Monday, February 3, 2014

Why I Love Sensory Play




A little while ago someone asked me why I love sensory play. I know she was looking for a short and simple answer but it is so much more and deeper than that, with layer after layer of pure goodness. For tips on how to get started, check out my Sensory Play 101 post. 

             




I love that sensory play is like a magical reset button for my child and sometimes myself as well. 

Bad weather got you cooped up and bored? Just roll out a wrapping paper runway to run, crawl, hop, and giggle that energy out. Now it’s a thunderstorm, then a cave, next a blanket, a magic carpet and more. 

Cranky, over stimulated, or anxious kids? Time for some lavender rice to help mellow out.

In a funky mood? Drop some glow sticks in the bubble bath, dim the lights, and crank the tunes.


Kids not getting along? Sensory play.

Bored with their same old toys? Sensory play.

Mom is running out of ideas? Sensory play.


Messy, clean, or somewhere in between sensory play has the ability to refocus our energy and feelings in a safe and positive way. 





 I love that children of any age and any ability level can be successful and benefit from sensory play. Sensory activities meet a child where they are and then challenge them both physically and mentally. 








I love that sensory play can be used as an extension of the academic classroom. Whether your child is learning their colors, beginning to read, or early math facts; sensory activities give a hands on approach to mastering these building blocks for later learning.
                                                           







I love that sensory play puts the child in control. There is no right or wrong way for sensory play. You can provide the opportunity to play and even make suggestions on how to use the materials. But overall sensory play is a child driven activity start to finish.


     
        




I love that sensory play can assist my child in overcoming any developmental delays. At 18 months old my son had zero spoken words and very little babbling. We have been working with a SLP and tailoring his sensory activities to promote early language skills. By breaking down the speech process into baby steps and integrating those steps into his sensory play, he has thrived. Fast forward 10 months later he is talking in long complex sentences and has the vocabulary and general language skills well above his age level. We are still using sensory play to work on his articulation and intelligibility.  


I love the giggles, grins, and funny faces. 




I love the serious expressions as he deeply contemplates what he is experiencing. 








I love the light in his eyes as he experiences something new, figures something out, and has FUN!








I love that sensory play creates magical childhood moments.






This face is why I love sensory play. 


No comments:

Post a Comment